Monday 21 March 2011

St Patrick's Celebration

I did it!

Date: 19th March
Location: Engine Shed, Lincoln.

Carli survived a night out with no drink!

Pre-drinks were relatively easy, I sat sipping Lucozade from a cup and despite the pile of peer pressure that I was subjected to: 'We won't tell anyone' 'No-one will see' I didn't give in! Was I tempted? Yes! Of course I was, the girls were giggling and dancing around in the lounge and kitchen and I was plonked on a chair. I didn't take much persuading into the dancing though and I was strangely more steady on my feet than I would have been had I had a drink.

We headed out to Glasshouse before hitting Engine Shed. And usually I would have joined the girls by having a jug instead I had a lemonade....one boy did walk past and told me to smile more - I am unsure whether this was his attempt at a chat up line or that I did in fact look mardy - so I decided to smile anyway just in case! :-)

I certainly felt the cold more than I would have and I kept yawning - not something that would happen if I had a double vodka and red bull in my system! However I broke through the tiredness and got to Engine Shed at around 11:30pm.

One of the perks of not drinking meant I didn't have to queue for a drink and when I fancied a drink of water I pushed through and asked someone to order one for me - due to it being free they didn't mind getting me one and said it was their 'good deed for the day'.

I have to admit, it wasn't easy not drinking and I did feel like caving in at times - I was very aware of every potential situation and found myself being more conscious of people walking into me and pushing past. It was nice to see people I knew and know that I would remember it in the morning and not have the embarrassment of them telling me they had seen me and me not remembering. I can remember everything!

When I left at 2:45pm I said goodbye to everyone - instead of just toddling home as I usually would - and headed to McDonalds.

One cheeseburger, chips and a Fanta later I was home and in bed.

Sunday arrived quickly and I woke up feeling tired but without the headache and sick feeling I would have had I drank. Whilst everyone else was talking about alcohol sweats and shakes I was OK.

My friend Katie's words have stayed with me: 'I'm really proud of you not drinking tonight'

So am I :-) I can honestly say I had a great night out without the alcohol and would do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment