Thursday 10 March 2011

So it seems there are more of us out there.....

Starting off on this 'adventure' at the beginning of March seemed like a lone voyage...

A student that didn't drink, I thought I was alone - However it seems there are more of us out there and it's great to hear from them.

Adrian Burgess, a 3rd year Journalism student at the University of Lincoln, he shares his thoughts on being a 'Sober Student':

*************

Having a sober night out is an experience I have been familiar with since my first year at university, so operation nova is certainly something I can relate to.
Before I came to University I very rarely drank any alcohol, so when I first arrived in Lincoln I had no real inclination to get drunk. I was more than enthusiastic about going out, I just felt comfortable doing so without the need for alcohol.
I used to find it strange when people asked me how I could go out and not drink and actually have a good time. It was even stranger when they said that they could never do it.
In my opinion, alcohol doesn’t actually enhance your night in any way; it doesn’t give you more confidence and it doesn’t make you have a good time, you just think it does. Getting drunk can be fun, but everyone has the ability to enjoy themselves just as much without it.
Admittedly, this saintly behaviour has slipped considerably throughout my time at university and I have had more than my fair share of drunken episodes. However, I could still quite happily go out stone cold sober and have just as good a night without the influence of alcohol.
I recommend trying it, especially if you know you drink for a bit of Dutch courage just to get on the dance floor or approach the opposite sex. You’ll probably find you have a much more enjoyable night! ;)
************

There you have it! Proof that I'm not on my own!

No comments:

Post a Comment