Thursday 24 March 2011

Guest Post: Stephanie Bolton - 'My Sober Lent'

Stephanie Bolton is a Journalism Student at the University of Lincoln and has given up alcohol for Lent....

*******************

I first attempted to give up alcohol for Lent last year. I managed about four and half weeks before I went to a gig and succumbed….

This year, I’m determined not to drink for the whole period. I like the challenge of giving up something for Lent, but I find that giving up alcohol takes much more self-restraint. There’s a lot of peer pressure surrounding drinking on a night out, especially in the student culture, but giving up something that’s so socially acceptable reminds me that I don’t need to drink alcohol to have a good night out.

Standing in a club with a Coke, watching everybody drunkenly stumble to the bar, I feel embarrassed that I am often one of those. But the most worrying thing I find is how walking home sober heightens my sense of awareness. I am much more alert than I am when I’ve been out drinking, which makes me realise what a dangerous situation I often put myself in.

I relish Sunday mornings not spent hungover, being able to remember my night, and I love the fact that I can have a good night out without spending a lot, as non-alcoholic drinks are often much cheaper. I also feel slightly healthier, like I’m giving my body a bit of a detox.

After giving up alcohol last year I’ve found that I now tend to drink less when I go out too. I think it’s a combination of knowing that I can still have a good time, save money, and not waste the next day.

I’m confident that I will last the whole of Lent this year without a drop of alcohol passing my lips.

***********************

I'd like to take this opportunity to wish Stephanie luck! :-) I shall see you on the other side!


No comments:

Post a Comment